74th AMENDMENTS (ELEVENTH SCHEDULE)
Tasks to be accomplished by rural urban bodies (i.e. nagarpalika)
under 74th amendments act (Indicative sectors to be addressed
under NRDMS are given below)
The 12th Schedule of the 74th Constitutional Amendment Act of
India, defines 18 new tasks in the functional domain of the Urban
Local Bodies, as follows :
1) Urban Planning including town planning.
2) Regulation of land use and construction of building.
3) Planning for economic and social development.
4) Roads and bridges.
5) Water supply for domestic, industrial and commercial purposes.
6) Public health, sanitation conservancy and solid waste management.
7) Fire services.
8) Urban forestry, protection of
the environment and promotion of ecological aspects.
9) Safeguarding the interests of
weaker sections of society, including the
handicapped and mentally retarded.
10) Slum improvement and up gradation.
11) Urban poverty alleviation.
12) Promotion of cultural, educational and aesthetic aspects.