Integrated landscape assessment and evolve perspective landuse planning for development suitability of Madurai metropolitan region
To create a GIS data base & to identify the trends in the spatial variation of the landuse over a period of 28 years (1969 - 1997). To assess and identify various classes of lands in terms of agricultural productivity and groundwater resources. Finally, to evolve appropriate landuse planning for the study area so as to aid the development Planners / Decision makers.
9045’ N to 10003’55" N
77055’ E to 780 15’ E
· 21 firka units in Madurai Metropolitan Region.
· Toposheets Parts of 58 K, 58 J, 58 F, 58 G.
· The maximum relief is 350 mts from MSL
· Eight major soil Types - Redfine loam, Sandy with silt, Sandy clay fine red, Black cotton
soil, Sandy clay soil, Red yellowish fine loamy, Red fine loam sandy coarse red, Sandy
· Alluvium, Quarzite, Charnokite, and Granite gniess.
· The study area mostly depends on canal, well and tank irrigation.
Satellite data IRS 1A LISS-I FCC & IRS 1C LISS-III FCC, Topographic sheet, field data, primary data, secondary data and experimental data (public health engineering lab of Thiagarajar College of Engineering, Madurai)
Research achievements and outputs
1. CHANGING LANDUSE PATTERN
2. AGRICULTURAL PRODUCTIVITY
3. GROUNDWATER POTENTIAL
4. GROUNDWATER QUALITY